Friday, October 15, 2010

Dealing with the 'Terrible Twos'

They warn you when you are thinking of having children, they re-warn you when your pregnant with your child, and then again around their first birthday........they always say 'just wait til they hit those terrible twos'. I sure hope you all listened, because I think I missed that day in class. 


Jonny has been doing his power struggle recently.  I understand he needs to establish his independence, but it makes it so frustrating when I still want him to be my good behaved little boy.  He truly thinks he is the boss, its been very tough for mommy and daddy to keep the balance that we and the babysitter are his boss, and he is to do as told. 

I've been doing some reading on tips that I am going to implement at our house, hopefully they will work out, it will take lots of work for me, because I'm a sucker for Jonny's pout and 'mommy i love you'.

* Provide your toddler with a safe environment that is well childproofed to explore and play in. It really isn't fair that your toddler should get in trouble for playing with something he isn't supposed to if you left it within reach. (source)

* Be clear about setting limits and don't give in to his temper tantrums when he sets out to test these limits. That doesn't help your child at all!! (source)

* When speaking to a toddler that is having a temper tantrum, try to be calm and keep your voice at a normal level. Raising your voice a little bit is ok but refrain from screaming and yelling back at the toddler. (source)

* Another thing to try is the time out chair. Putting a child in a time out chair can be started anywhere from about 18 months old and up. Starting it early on helps them learn what it all means. At first the time out doesn't have to be long, only a few seconds or as long as the toddler will sit in the chair. As time goes on and more time outs are given, longer periods of sitting should be given. The more they are repeatedly put in time out for doing something, the more they will learn that it is something they should not be doing. It may take time and many time outs before a toddler gets the idea but they do get the idea in the long run. (source)


Just remember, all parents raise their children differently, and all children are different. Just find the techniques that work best for you and your toddler. Also for the best advice, ask the ones that raised you! They will surely be able to pass on some great advice that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment